Saturday, May 31, 2008

Superman Returns...?

The skeletal spotlight shines this time on:
"Cracked" magazine's SHOCKING cover!

Click on the image for a higher rez.


I am shocked and offended by this cover. The memory of Christopher Reeve's tragic and untimely accident and subsequent death is too recent and painful to allow something this callous, this tasteless, this inconsiderate to go uncommented on.

I plan on protesting to the Cracked office and owners in the strongest language possible. I propose a boycott of the magazine until an apology is issued. I will... what's that you say?

The issue was published in the summer of 1993? And it's about Superman's return in the comics from his death at the hands of Doomsday the year before? Umm... this is embarrassing. (How to recover...? I got it.) "Don't point a finger at me, cause that's probably how you felt when you first saw it."

Well, I was going through my magazine collection yesterday when I came across this issue, and although I knew it for what it was, I had not seen it in years since buying it. Viewed now in retrospect of what happened to our beloved Chris, it struck me in a powerful way, and just seemed weird and ironic. I'm sure if it was republished in some form, the public outcry would be about the same as my opening comments.

Due to the circumstances, this is one you will probably never see anywhere other than here, folks. Which raises the question, am I crude and inconsiderate for reposting it here? I don't think so. I'm just reposting what was done in the past. And it has a skull, or at least a zombie face on it, so that justifies it for the blog. Right? Right?

Leave a comment and tell me how it made you feel when you saw it. Am I the only one that got the chills?

2 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

Awesome cover! I don't think I've ever even seen this issue before, need to head over to ebay now I guess...

Anonymous said...

Why would you read Cracked Magazine if you don't have a sense of humor, you should be offended at yourself.